The Blog of Michael T. Murphy and his lifelong obsession with "little army men" and their imaginary glory, miniature wargaming, and other things...

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Remembering Rick...

When I was in Las Vegas, I used to run a lot of games down at the now defunct but legendary Triple J's Games and Hobbies on Flamingo and Sandhurst, (it's a flower shop now).
One of the many games I ran was RAFM's "Charlie Company", and within that little group, I met a wonderful guy by the name of Rick San Augustin, or "Little Rick" as he came to be called. We all had nicknames there, (most of us did anyway)...
Rick was a good gamer. In our Charlie Company games he was the platoon leader, call sign "Joshua-6"; and worked hard to "CM" (Charlie-Mike = Continue the Mission)...as his players inevitable blew their original orders all to hell and the board would turn into a chaotic mess, or snipers, dawdling sections, boobytraps, villagers, dropping helicopters, miscalled airstrikes, and the ever present (but not popular), company commander, Gator-6.
Rick also played in one of my early AK47 games at Atomicon in 2005, right when the concept of Bongolesia was starting to take off and in one of the first fights between BARF and the Fighting Jujus over Peter Pauls Prized Pigs and his Pig Farm, Rick and Jon gleefully took the positions of Rebel Commanders and eventually made off with some of the pigs, and a lot of chaos.
That's John on the left and Rick on the right, smiling as they realize that victory (and prized pork products), will soon be theirs!


Jon and Rick at Atomicon waaaaay back in 2005...
I was going through some of my old pics today that I had in some older folders and came across this photo of Rick and Jon, and even though it was five years ago, I still remember the game and my friends.
Rick died last year from complications with cancer right before Christmas.
He was a good friend and I miss him.
None of us will forget him, and Lord willing, one day we will be all together again....laughing and rolling dice and moving figs...
"Joshua-6 you are cleared for take-off and final landing...Charlie Mike my friend...see you soon..."

No comments: