The Blog of Michael T. Murphy and his lifelong obsession with "little army men" and their imaginary glory, miniature wargaming, and other things...

Saturday, November 29, 2014

End of November; (Figures, Fun, SCORE!, etc...)

The days of Summer dear reader are behind us, and the early fall colors have quickly given away to the gray chill of late fall and the onset of winter.
It's the season that I love....
November has rolled to it's final days and with it, I shall attempt some last minute painting tomorrow, but I doubt if I really get much done.
I've lost one weekend this month due to the death of my mother, so now I am pressed for time on my challenge of getting a certain # of figs painted by the end of the year.
And with it dear read, I present this entry for your enjoyment. This is quite long, (probably the longest one this year, if ever on this blog), so sit back, relax, get a drink, and get ready for lots of pics and lots of other things....

Here we gooooooooooo!!!!


1: Blue Moon Egyptian Figures:

Well, I am finally getting around to doing it.
A while back I had discussed the Blue Moon Egyptian Agents and my concern about how they looked painted as compared to the Blue Moon Hillbillies.

Readers will remember that I posted this picture of them:

From L to R: Figs #1, #2, #3, #4, #5....
Over the last couple of months, I went ahead and started painting them.
Here they are as finished "WIP's".
The paint jobs have been finished but they still need to be sealed, etc...

FIGURE #1 and #2:

The first two figures were two standard "Agents". So I went ahead and painted them up as suck. Figure #2 had a large amount of flash on his hands that required removal before painting.

Figures 1 and 2  BEFORE:

  

And Figures 1 and 2 AFTER:

Introducing Mosouk and Fezzik, Egyptian Agents that are up to no good....

ACK! I have realized that I do not have a photo of Figure #2 yet...Fezzik is a Pulp Minis Figure...sigh...Okay I will fix that....

FIGURE #3:

This figure had little flash, and was a lot easier to paint. The detail was good, and he came out well....

Figure #3: BEFORE:


And Figure #3 AFTER:

Introducing "Abdouk The Slave-Trader"....He can get you what you want..."IF" you can meet his price..."

FIGURE #4:

Figure #4 was a bit of a challenge.
Unlike the others, this one had a world of detail to her, and present different ways she could be painted. Truth be told, I painted her outfit twice before I settled on the second color. I think though that in the future I might get this set again and paint her up in the first color scheme...or maybe a light Princess Pink.....

Figure #4, BEFORE: 


And now figure #4, AFTER, in both paint schemes....

Paint Job #1:

The red looked nice, but I just wasn't "satisfied" with it....

And Paint Job #2:

From red to green to help the gold trim show up. Not sure if I am still happy with this, but she's pretty much done for now. A final plan for her is to have her belly button area drilled out and a small glittering jewel inserted in it....

And finally FIGURE #5:

This figure was supposed to be an elderly woman, (possibly in mourning), but as I said before, I just couldn't do it, and be happy with it. Somehow or another this then became painted up as either an old funeral cemetery statue or a restless spectre....

Figure #5: BEFORE:

Not much to this figure as you can tell.....
Figure #5, AFTER:



"An old statue in a forgotten cemetery...perhaps whispering a long forgotten secret???"

OR


"A restless spectral spirit....doomed to wander the grounds of the old cemetery until the mystery is solved that will lay it to rest...???"

Looking back, I can say that the figures had more flash on them than I though but also they painted up A LOT better than the Blue Moon Hillbillies. I think that it had to do mostly with the humidity acting up with my primer.


2: SCORE!!!!! (Old School Style)....

Okay, so last night, my wonderful wife (Gawd bless her!), and myself went over to the neighboring town of Danville, for their annual "Christmas On The Square". Essentially what they do is light up the town square....
It's truly a beautiful sight.

One moment the square was dark....

Then the tree lit up....

Followed by the town square....

Soooo...while all of this was going on....
My wife and I found this old vintage retro store on a side street and we wandered in.
I usually take about 10-15 minutes to go through the place, but in this store...something caught my eyes....

Glory be!  A box of Grenadier Dwarves?!?!.....

So I tried to be as calm as could be and said "Uh...Ex...Ex...Excuse me....How much for these???"

He looked and there was no tag on the box so he made a call and then said "How does 10 dollars sound?"

I almost yelled at him to "SHADDUP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!"

Quickly I agreed, plus I went ahead and gave them my name and number "just in case" they come across anything else like this.

With my prize in my hand, I wandered outside and on a plastic garbage bin lid, I opened the box....

Holy Crap!!!!

JACKPOT!!!!

The original box set had 10 dwarven figures in it.
I looked in the box and not only were there the 10 as per box, but another 10-11 figs also...for a total of approx 22 figures of Old Heritage and Grenadier, etc, manufacture!

SCORE!!!!!

Okay so tomorrow I hope to get them out of the box and will check them out and get photos....

All in all (in the words of Bill S. Preston, Esquire, and Ted "Theodore" Logan), a most "excellent" weekend!!!!

And tomorrow I will try to paint some!!!!


1 comment:

Jay said...

Wow! Nice friendly bunch of Egyptians you've hired to star in your game's adventures. Also, nice score!!