The Blog of Michael T. Murphy and his lifelong obsession with "little army men" and their imaginary glory, miniature wargaming, and other things...

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Building a Western Town... Building Crabtree

Greetings once again, dear readers...

So in my previous post, (located here: http://littletoysoldiersandsuch.blogspot.com/2016/02/laying-down-plans-for-western-town.html  ), I discussed my early plans for my games at Little Wars and my designs for a Western town.
I love Western gaming and the town design has taken on a fascinating life of it's own.
First off was the name:

What's in a name???...

On looking over various Western sites, I came across a variety of names, some geographic, some colorful, and some just kind of "wrong". Some of the more colorful ones (besides Tombstone and Deadwood, were "Two Guns" and "Diablo Canyon/Devil's Canyon", "Prosperity", and "Eden".  I myself was stuck between two names.
My original idea was for the town of "Rimfire". It has a nice classic action oriented name to it. But at the same time I was interested in the idea of a name that was more "historical". So in good measure I started researching names, and during this time, I came across information on the famous 19th Century Actress Lotta Crabtree. (She was so famous they even had her in an episode of "Bonanza", (she was played by Yvonne De Carlo)....
Lotta was an unusual and spunky young lady for her time, (and a good investor), and so I figured, "If Judge Roy Bean could have "Langtry, Texas", then I could have the town of Crabtree named after Miss Lotta herself.

So now I had a name....
What came next?
Well the original plans...(which was shown on the map in the previous post.)
And then came the buildings....

A mysterious package arrives....

So Saturday came and there was a ringing of ye olde doorbell.
I opened it to see my friendly Postman, (who never rings twice), getting back in his vehicle and driving away.
"Hmmm..." sez I....

Then I looked down and saw a box....
So I brought it in....
Hmmmm.....What could it be now...(as if I didn't know...)



Well, well, well...look what was in the box!!!



Buildings and figures!!!  Go figure....


Sidekicks....we all need 'em....



What's a saloon without customers?....Out of business!



For some reason, Forrest and Co. felt that my order took too long, so they included a little freebie gift!  Most awesome!

A little note from Forrest apologizing for the delay.  I am honored and very happy with their service.

Sooooo after getting ALL of my current Knuckleduster stuff together, this is what I have to build for the convention....


The beginnings of a Wild West Town....


Including the "Two Holer Outhouse" for those night when the cafe is serving Chili and Beans and you just can't wait no longer....

Stacked them all up to see what it looked like on the table...


Wow...I have a lot of work to do...

Guess I need to get cracking!!!!


More to come....




No comments: