The Blog of Michael T. Murphy and his lifelong obsession with "little army men" and their imaginary glory, miniature wargaming, and other things...

Monday, December 28, 2020

End of Year Update

The month of December is closing out, so I finally decided to get off of my butt and update the blog one last time. 

So what did I do gaming wise this year? Not very much.

1: I participated in the Bones V KS. 

2: I picked up a couple of pieces of scenics.

And that's about it.


I didn't do any real gaming, as this year has put a massive crimp into my life. 

The first two months were spent mostly in Physical Therapy trying to teach my right leg how to walk again. Then the Pandemic hit. 

And we bought a new house due to the rising taxes and crime in our neighborhood. Wife and I wanted a "fresh start", so we well...bought a house and moved.

But the house does look beautiful in the winter. We got the first snow right about the 16th of December and I took some day and night photos of the place and it's stunning...




The Lord has indeed blessed us with this house...

One of the things I finally got a chance to do was to get the much wanted IKEA Detolf Display Cabinets for my miniatures.
Due to the COVID issues, stock for these were at an all time low. So imagine our joy when the two we ordered finally showed up!
So on Saturday we began to assemble the first one. Yes it is a two person job. We had the box open and in 30 minutes had the base and holding frame assembled.
Then it happened.
My wife was holding the glass side panel in her hands, when suddenly the panel exploded in her very hands, covering her with bits of broken glass, and scaring both of us.
After checking to see if she was okay, I checked the area and took pics of the incident. The pile of glass on the floor was where my wife was standing.  A quick check of "Ikea Detolf exploding" on Google, shows this to be a VERY common issue with these units going as far back as 2014-2015, with no apparent fix by IKEA.
So today I began the process of the refund/exchange process. Rather than even try to work with the second unopened item, I am returning them for a refund. I will save my money up and get better quality cases that won't explode in my wife's hands and shower her with glass.



So you can see what I have to say "No...I don't things that will explode simply because someone is holding it." 

So the setting up of the man cave (paint room and game room) continues, and hopefully will be done within the next 1-2 weeks.
After that I can start up painting and building, and gaming again.



Our 2013 Tree...

 So this is Christmas...and the end of the year.....

The end to 2020 is in sight and we can see 2021 and it's surprises looming ahead of us. What shall it bring?

For myself and my wonderful wife, (Gawd bless her!), we hope for all better things.

2020 hasn't been a good year for the majority of the country or the world. Here in the US between an election fiasco, and talk that sounds very much like South Carolina in 1861 as well as the COVID Pandemic, it has touched a lot of lives. 

2020 has also reminded us in a dark way to be thankful and appreciative for what we have, instead of whining all the time for "what we want."

I'm hoping that 2021 will be good to you and yours dear readers.

See you next year!

1 comment:

ColCampbell50 said...

So glad your wife was not hurt!

And I agree that this past year has been very "negative" but that hopefully things will be more positive next year.

Jim