The Blog of Michael T. Murphy and his lifelong obsession with "little army men" and their imaginary glory, miniature wargaming, and other things...

Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Oct update: "A busy month indeed!"....

 WARNING! ACHTUNG!

This post is VERY picture heavy!

So as you, dear reader will see, the Month of September was a bit busy here at House O' Murph, and October looked at September and said "Here. Hold my beer!", and went to town on me.
Now before I go any further, please understand that sometimes in gaming blogs, we have this thing called "Life", or "The Real World". In this case, this entry is a lot of that, and a little bit of painting and some gaming, but it's mainly a catch up to everyone and those interested as to how things are progressing with a 105 year old(ish), somewhat haunted house.  But there IS gaming and mini stuff in this blog! Trust me.... heh heh heh....
And as Halloween approaches....

(Oh dear...)

TREES BE GONE!
So in the last episode of this blog, I had discussed how the ginkgo tree (Tree #1 of Three slated for work), had been taken down. During the month of October, I also had Tree #2, (the half dead maple tree in the front yard), also taken down, (and adventure in itself), and Tree #3, (the big maple in the backyard with the fairy door), pruned back.
Tree #2 was a half dead maple on our curbside in our front. Each heavy storm would bring down branches and bark from it. The branches soon turned into limbs. It was only a matter of time before it came down and I didn't want it coming down in the street and onto someone's car. 
So...a call to our tree guy, and he set up the appointment. Only to have his "B" team show up, (they showed up late, and due to that, had to work late into the night to complete the job), and while they did a "good job", it wasn't a "great job", (we still have a large stump to take care of).  But it came down and there was wood for everyone!

(Here we can see the poor half dead tree being taken down...)


(Live branches and limbs...)


(And the dead ones...)



(Working late in the night because the simply started too late and ran out of daylight....)


(Finishing up that night by vehicle light....)


(The next day showed the amount of wood from that one tree. Free firewood. Come and take it!  And they did...Lots of it was loaded up by neighbors, and just folks asking for it.)


(Some of the wood was pretty large...)

Plans for next year are to grind down the stumps of this one and the ginkgo tree. 

Then it was onto the job of pruning down Tree #3.
You can't really cut more than 20% of a tree back in one year or you will actually "shock" the tree and possibly kill it. With that going on, one has to watch to see how the tree responds to a 20% loss. Tree #3 is the biggest one that we have, and yes, it has a fairy door, so I had to be careful as to how it was going to be cut. 
The essential primary job was to prune off a series of extremely long limbs and branches, (these actually went over the house, and were responsible for the damage to the roof that is going to be repaired this month), and had to be taken down for safety.
I actually didn't get any photos of this job as it was done quickly and I was uber busy at the time. 
But now there is a large pile of wood for my fire pit.

FOOD!!!!!!
Yes, yes, I know. This is the part you all have been waiting for. "Come on Murph..." You say. "Enough with the trees already! Show us what you have been eating!"
Very well. Your wish is my command.

One of the cool things about my house is that we have raspberry bushes in the back, and this year I was able to gather a small jar of them. Also we were able to harvest enough Quince fruit from our bush in the yard, (Quince is NOT native to Indiana), that we were able to make six jars of Quince Jelly, and 2 large containers of Quince paste. It was indeed a bit of an all day job to do it, but the results were well worth it.

(Fresh from the back yard...)


(From this...)


(To this...Six jars worth of Quince Jelly goodness...)


(And this!  Quince Paste!)


And then there was more food...this time by me!
Every October, I get into my "German mood", and thus...want...German food!
This month of October, I decided on a Saturday night German Meal.
So from my crafty hands came Jagerschnitzel, Spaetzle, Saurkraut, and Salat, with a good dark German Rye Bread. (Compliments of Aldis!).  
A couple of Weizen beers would have been nice to top it off with, but perhaps next year.

(Deutsches Abendessen! Sehr Gut!)


(A close up of my handiwork.)


And my wonderful wife, (Gawd bless her!), was not to be outdone!
For breakfast one morning she fixed up bratwurst, (cooked in butter), and her famous "German Apfel Pancakes", (cooked in a cast iron skillet which makes all the difference!), and yes, we ate well that morning!

(So sinfully good....)


(And brats to go with it!)



And of course this past October was the 10 year anniversary for my wonderful wife (Gawd bless her!), and myself. And in doing so, we celebrated by going out for Japanese.

(Our local place. I always had a bit of a "sinking" feeling whenever I came here. But I would "Dive right in..." )
Thank you folks I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waiters and "try the veal!"...


(Inside...)


(Seaweed salad and Miso soup...)


(Rainbow roll with ginger and wasabi. Yellowtail roll is on the plate behind.)


(More delicious food....)


For the dessert mints, they have this wonderful candy that my wife is addicted to. Since we do not read Japanese, we have no clue what it is. If anyone can tell us what this is we would be grateful.




So finally...FINALLY, that is it with the food.

OCTOBER! (and gaming!!!)

So the month of October came in, and I was going to pull out the stops and run a FFG "Fury of Dracula" game, but sadly enough that did not happen. Perhaps next year.
Instead I hit the painting table first. 
During the month of October I usually try to paint up quite a few Halloween themed figures. I did get a few figures painted but sadly only two of them were Halloween themed. 

(Two ghostly ladies for Halloween...)


And with Halloween approaching I wanted to do something a little "Halloweeny" for the group, so why not give the players Trick or Treat Bags? (An idea taken from Martha Stewart).
So a run to Wally World for bags and candy. Each bag got an assortment of Hershey's Reese's Cups and Pieces, Snickers, Almond Joy, Whoppers, Milk Duds, Kit Kats, Twizzlers, Sour Patch Kids, and Swedish Fish.


(None of that crappy taffy candy or candy corn here! Nope. It's the GOOD stuff!!!)

The bags were filled....



And custom "artwork" was applied....

(NOT the "Bat Signal"...)


(Yowza!)


(RIP Berry M. Dead....zzzzzz...)


(Singing: "I-I-I ain't go no booooooooody!")


(Frank is definitely not happy....)



(And the bags are placed on the table...)



(And a little moody atmosphere....)


We set up the game room....



And added some decorations....

("Poe" guards the cans of Liquid Death...)

And my wonderful wife once again comes through with some special treats.
We bought some Halloween themed cupcakes but the night before the game, she makes "Monster Deviled Eggs"...(Deviled eggs with a black food coloring shell, and orange colored filling and a candy monster eye!)
These went fast!


(Halloween Treats!)

(Cupcakes, Vanilla and Chocolate filling...mmmm....)


(I've got a feeling....somebody's watching meeee.....)

And then we gamed....

The game was quiet and uneventful as the PC's recovered from their adventure in the temple, and received word of the "evil lair", deep in a boggy, swampy, wood, known as "The Dreadmire". With a female NPC they rescued (Stansia is her name), and a newly purchased cart and mule, (the mule has been named "Burrito"), and supplies, they headed out to hopefully get the answers they were looking for.
They slogged through the swamps, (leaving the girl, and cart and camp behind), and found the entrance to the lair. Once they stepped in, we stopped there for the evening.


(The party making decisions...good...bad...it all depends on the dice roll....)

After the group left, my wife and I celebrated another wonderful day of friends and fun, by going out for......MEXICAN FOOD!!!

Yes! That's right...MORE FOOD PICS!!!!

(My fajita dinner...mmmm...)



(A close up of the fajita goodness....)

And so once more our evening came to a close...

And Halloween was right around the corner!

And I close this, (really there is a lot more, but this thing is already too dang long), I and my wonderful wife (Gawd bless her!), wish that your Halloween was a good one!
More to come!



No comments: