The Blog of Michael T. Murphy and his lifelong obsession with "little army men" and their imaginary glory, miniature wargaming, and other things...

Friday, September 10, 2021

August update....Gaming, Rules, Gardening, and Food!

 The days of July have rolled past us and we are now into August, and life here as Murph-haus, seems to have taken on it's own pace of things getting done, (or not done). Outside is too hot and humid right now and as a result yard work is terribly overdue. So kicking in right now is my August update.

RULES!

Starting off...
Somewhere around the year 2014-2015, Dashing Dice Games put out a rules book called "Witchfinder General". It had always been on the top of my list to get, but as usual, that list kept getting changed.
And slowly but surely my "want" fell off the page and production ceased.
Recently however I was able to procure a copy of it.

(Vincent Price would be so proud...)


The rules do look interesting but I have not yet had a chance to really get into them. Here's hoping I can find some time in the next couple of weeks.

GARDENING!!!

Those of you that actually read this silly blog of mine will remember that back in May I had decided to try my hand at gardening my planting some herbs in window boxes. Earlier this week, I decided that it was ready to cut my chives. So out in the cool of the evening I went, and brought back in two big bushels of chives.
After washing and separating them, we cut them and have used some for a lot of potato dishes. The spearmint and lemon balm sprigs and leaves I got also have been used for teas.

(Chives goodness. All of this from two small plants that I planted in May.)

And then such strangeness...we found CORN!
Yes...CORN!
Corn growing in our front yard.
Proof that we live in Indiana...

(Two small ears of corn on our solitary corn plant...right in our front yard...)


And our spearmint plant was blooming...



We also finally got scheduled to have our accursed ginkgo tree removed. That will be happening towards the end of October.

PROJECTS!

The gaming front has been active and very helter skelter for a bit. If you read last months entries you will remember me finally getting my Reaper Bones V KS, and then the mysterious package of figures I ordered from Miniatures Market showing up, (to my surprise).  So in addition to  separating and inventorying these, I got back to painting and working on building figures. But first, I had to get all the Reaper Box Stuff out of the way, so onto the shelves they went.

(The Bones IV and V KS boxes, minus the Baba Yaga Hut, The Large Cobra, and the Massive "Sophies Revenge" ship. The bags of figures will go into the drawers.

(And the bag of figures to be inventoried and stored...)



So the first thing I got to working on was a "Big Old Nasty Creature" from Reaper. This is the "Droopy Dragon", as he is nicknamed. 


He is actually known as "Gauth", and here is what he looks like assembled...

(Yeah...he's a big 'un...)


However at the current moment, here is how he is looking on my project table...

(He don't look so tough now does he?...)

I've read mixed reviews about this figure. The biggest issue is the weight displacement, tends to make the wings droop and the body droop forward until it's practically nose to the ground. There's a wide variety of fixes to this, (mostly including pinning the tail and connecting the wings with fishing line), and I think this is going to be a bit of a project.

I've also gotten back to painting up figures. In this case, I have finished up four Foundry Pirate Figures, from their "Treasure Island" range. 

(Four sea going adventurers, ready for....well...."adventure"...)


("Watch yerselves lads. There's trouble on these docks...")


And I started on some more pirates...

(Pirate and Bandit figures from Wizkids, while the one holding the chest is from Reaper. While they (the Wizkids figures) are nice, the softer plastic is more bendy, and despite the fact that they are "primed" and you can paint them out of the box, I found that you really, REALLY, need to wash them first.)


(And the beginning work on a Siamese cat...)

GAMING!

We got back into the swing of D&D and the party continued exploring the old haunted ruins of Saltmarsh. They cleared out the first floor and finished the second floor, meeting a poor old guy that got knocked out and tied up, and then fighting a nest of stirges in the attic above. Their next sessions sends them exploring "down below".
We had a grand time with snacks, drinks, gaming, and good friends. 

(The party reviews what they've done so far and coordinates their future moves, so that no one screams "Leeeeeeeeroy Jenkins!" and charges into a fray...)


( Notes and plan journals are updated...while people discuss their next course of action...)



(Adventure for the players, and a nice serving of ice cold watermelon for the DM...)

FOOD!

After the game ended, three of us wandered uptown for dinner. There at a locals place called Arni's I chowed down on a nice Texas Bacon BBQ Burger and fries.... mmmmm.....

(Tasty!)...



And then after dinner a nice few moments outside enjoying the courthouse, and the evening air...



Later on the following week, my wife and I tried out a Mexican place on the edge of town. It was "authentic Mexican" and not the standard "Tex Mex" stuff. 





That my friends was good eating!

And our town opened a new "Mexican style ice cream shop" and we checked it out!


(My wife got a double dip waffle cone of their mango...it's delicious...)



(While yours truly got a double dip of strawberry and Ferrarro Hazelnut Chocolate, (just like the little gold foiled candies), in a waffle cone bowl... Excellente!!!


So that is it for the month of August pretty much. Our Sept 11th game was cancelled at the last minute but the next one is for Sept. 25 and we are looking at doing a Lasagna and a Chicken Alfredo dinner.

More to come!
Thanks for reading!




No comments: