The Blog of Michael T. Murphy and his lifelong obsession with "little army men" and their imaginary glory, miniature wargaming, and other things...

Monday, October 25, 2021

September and October Update: So much to write about!!!

 

The month of September got away from me as things moved quickly about Casa Del Murph here. And before I even knew what was going on, it's already the week of Halloween! 

Egad! Where did the time go?

So I am going to try to figure out what to be posting on this entry. Please be patient as this will probably be a long, long, post and picture intensive.

FIRST OFF....RASPERRIES!!!!

So the other day I was wandering around the property. On the backside of our garage is a gaggle of wild plants. And imagine my surprise when I found this.

(Ooooooh.... *hastily gobbles it up*)


I quickly looked around and saw a few vines bearing some more berries.






Once today's rain goes away I shall go out and pick them.

NEXT UP....OUR D&D CAMPAIGN!!!

So we got back into the swing at Saltmarsh.
The party got down to the lower caves and were held up by a pair of Gnoll fighters.
It wasn't a pretty battle but the Gnolls were defeated.
Moving through the caves, the party ended up meeting the evil wizard and his band of smugglers.
One smuggler was killed and the wizard was wounded but the party was too banged up to do any more, and so a "deal" was made. The smugglers and wounded wizard were "allowed' to escape, which they did. 
For the first time in all of my GM'ing Saltmarsh, I've never had this happen.
So now, the smugglers operation has been compromised, BUT they were allowed to leave. So does this mean that the party will see them again? Who knows?
We are currently on hold due to half of our members being out of state and in real life situations until our next game on Dec. 4th.

The Game Room is ready for play!

(All ready...)

(Snacks and refreshments....check....)

(DM's Station with module, dice, minis, books, and coffee?....check....)


(Pizza Skull ready to go?....check....)


(How the session started. Three skeletons with three more behind them)


(Meeting the second group of skellies and the Dwarf fighter goes down like a bad Ponzi scheme....)



(The Smugglers are discovered!!!)


(With one smuggler dispatched and a standoff ensuing, a deal is made and the smugglers with the wounded evil wizard, leave in the small boat....Perhaps to meet again one day....)

(But clues are found!!!)



(What can it mean???...)


PAINTING FIGURES!

Oddly enough, my wonderful wife (Gawd bless her!), and me, did a back to back movie watching of POTC (the first two), and it got me the gumption to get back to painting, and I dove into the mess of pirates that I had quietly gathering dust on my work table.
I think one of the issues I have with painting is that I have so many of each type of figure that when I paint the same genre for a while I get burnt out. So I am conducting an experiment, in which I shall go with painting 1-2 different genres a week. (Week 1: Fantasy and Pirates. Week 2: Fantasy and Cowboys. Week 3: Pulp and Horror  Week 4: Victorian/Colonials, and Scenics, etc.). Each of these can be mixed and matched and I will end up with painted figures from each genre, (although thanks to my Bones IV and V KS, I think my fantasy stuff outweigh all other genres.).
For Halloween, I always try to do a couple of spooky things, and this year I painted up a Reaper Bones Banshee and Shadow...

First up is the Banshee.
She's made of clear green transparent Bones resin.
The idea was to keep her semi-transparent at least, so a minimum of colors were used.
In this case, it was Vallejo Transparent Green, GW Coelia Greenshade, Tamaiya Clear Green, and a dry-brush over the high points with GW Ceramite White.
I wanted to go for the wispy, in motion, swirling, look of the banshee as well as the wide eyes of an insane spirit, maddened with grief. I think I caught it pretty well.





And now a single pic of the Reaper Bones "Shadow".
For some reason I keep calling this thing a "Spectre". I know it's wrong, but I couldn't get a decent "shadow" paint look to it. I decided to go minimal again, and went with GW Druchi Violet shade, Reaper Imperial Purple, Vallejo Purple, and once again a drybrush touch of GW Ceramite White.
Keeping it minimal made it look even better and spookier.

(What's that coming down the hallway?....GAAAAAH!)

And then I went to work on the pirates....










Click on the smaller pics to get larger pics! Arrrrr!





 








And I also painted up some townsfolk....





Whew! That's a lot of figures!

Okay I have more to post, but I think this one has gone on long enough. So thank you for reading and yes, there is indeed MORE to come!


No comments: