The Blog of Michael T. Murphy and his lifelong obsession with "little army men" and their imaginary glory, miniature wargaming, and other things...

Sunday, January 8, 2023

January 2023 Update!

 Greetings to you in the new year!

Well 2023 is upon us like a tick on a hound dog, and we have to go through the 11 3/4 months left, before we kick it out the door, and hope that 2024 will be better.

But, enough of that right now. 

I was able to wander down to my painting room today and get to work on some projects on the table. I hadn't really sat down to do anything since the middle of October last year, and it took me a few moments to get myself oriented once again.

Then it took me a few minutes to do a little organizing.

It seems that whenever I take a break of more than two weeks from my table, it takes me a little bit to get comfortable and "back in the saddle".  It's more of a psychological thing than it is physical, and usually the first session or two at the table is little more than puttering around, doing trivial things and getting back into the swing and flow of it. 

(First shot of the table for 2023; cleaned and organized, ready to go....)



I decided the slip back into work, by not painting figures, but by working on finishing a couple of my Western buildings. In this case, one of TCL buildings, (this one is going to be for the Newspaper), and the Livery Stable, (a conversion of an ERTL Farm Town Barn).

(My two current projects.)


And in the meantime, I was jamming to some tunes via Alexa and Spotify. In this case, it was the happening sounds of Cirri and his 18th Century Cello Concertos.

(Who says I can't get down with the tunes?  Btw...the figures on the left are part of my "TBP" (To be painted) queue.)


And then out of nowhere I got the idea to "get some inspiration" for working on Western buildings by watching a Western movie.
Oops. Bad idea.

(And here we go.)



(I'll be honest with you, while I love John Wayne movies, this Western was kind of a convoluted mess. There's about four different storylines going through it, plus various sub-plots, and for some reason, there's some dude warbling a song about "Sally", in it. Yes we know Billy the Kid loves Sally, but we don't need this guy with throat cancer to croak out a tune about it....)


And it was a diversion, and not much else got done....


(Movie watching supplies.....)

And that was kind'a that.
I'm hoping to get more work done this weekend.

More to come my friends....more to come!


1 comment:

Jason said...

That is a good diversion though. I have the same need to work back into the painting groove after a break.