The Blog of Michael T. Murphy and his lifelong obsession with "little army men" and their imaginary glory, miniature wargaming, and other things...

Tuesday, June 20, 2023

"The Great Display Case Migration"....

 And some close up pics!

Sooooo...

Recently I've been painting more and more and yet even more 28mm figures than I have 15's. Indeed it is sad to say that my 15's have all but been forgotten and have languished in forgotten obscurity of the storage closet, waiting patiently for "someday"....

So as the 28's get finished, I have been adding them to the upper four shelves of Display Case #1: (which actually has four shelves and a bottom piece, making essentially five shelves), but I have run into three problems.

Problem #1: The display case shelves are horribly crowded. These upper shelves are holding almost 700 figures total.

Problem #2: With the amount of figures on the shelves, it has essentially blocked the majority of the light from the lighting system to shine down on the lower shelves, essentially encasing the lower shelves into light starved dimness.

Problem #3: There is no room for "LARGE" size/scaled figures.

On my paint table right now are numerous figures (mostly 28mm fantasy); some of which are larger than normal, and I have the 28mm Reaper "Gauth" Dragon, that I need to work on as well, which will all need more space than is currently available in Case #1.

Now the argument could be simply. "Why don't you just buy extra shelves to use on the bottom half of the case?"  And this is indeed a good argument, and here is the answer to your question.

A: Because I am too cheap.

B: It would not solve the issue with lighting. 

I say the "too cheap" thing because the place that I have ordered extra shelves from in the past has gotten absurdly expensive. Even on sale their glass shelves cut to the size for my display case is approximately USD $121.00 a piece.  That would be almost 500 dollars for four shelves for the bottom half of the display case. And then I would still need to fix the lighting issue.

So with all of that being said for right now, I realized that the current "quick and easy fix" is to simply "Anschluss" the upper half of Display Case #2.  So I began the task of removing the upper two shelves of 15mm Bongolesia stuff from Display Case #3, and then transferring my 15mm ACW stuff to those shelves. Once the area of Display Case #2 was cleared, I then began moving some of the 28's over. In this case, I have pretty much given it to be the haven for a lot of my 28mm fantasy Dungeon Beasties and Monsters as well as some NPC's and stuff.

Here's the current setup. (CLICK ON PICS FOR LARGER PIC)


(After the move. I can already see this thing starting to fill up quickly also...)



(Another view showing the general layout.)



(Close up showing various dungeon monsters, including fire and water elementals, spiders, giant rats, fungi, a Naga, a mimic, a gelatinous cube, and more!)



(The Undead shelf, featuring all sorts of late night Saturday night movie horrors and creature features! Vampires, ghosts, zombies, mummies, ghouls, and soooooo much more...)


So that's it for right now.
Sadly enough I am either going to have to break down and buy more shelves, or get another display case, (hopefully a larger one).
Currently I am finding better deals and prices for another case than spending money on 1-2 new glass shelves.
Thanks for reading and stay tuned as there is more to come!

2 comments:

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Storage is always going to be an issue. I now store my 28mm's in large plastic boxes and only leave a small select number of well painted units on display. Im not certain if you have Ikea in the USA, but they are the best value glass display cabinets in the UK if you want to continue using glass displays.

Chick Lewis said...

Murphy, I use the 'billy' glass fronted bookshelves from Ikea. Very good value, and additional shelves are very cheap. Here's a link to gray color, but white is also available.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-bookcase-with-glass-doors-gray-metallic-effect-00415603/#content

Chick